Brought to you by the Brainerd Lake Areas Online Information Source - brainerddispatch.com

brainerdhistory.com Subscribe to the Brainerd Dispatch and read today's history in the making!

LINKS
BrainerdDispatch.com  
Brainerd News - here
UpNorthAutos.com  
Find A Car! - here
UpNorthJobFinder  
Find A Job! - here
UpNorthMovieFinder here

brainerdhistory.com logo

brought to you by: brainerddispatch.com

Sections: Home | Early Years | Air Travel | Autos | Bands | Banks | Bataan | Businesses | Clubs | Crow Wing County | Education | Fairs | Farming | Fires | Government | Healthcare | Hotels | Libraries | Liveries | Lumbering | Memories | Military | Native Americans | Natural Resources | Newspapers | Officials | Papermill | Parks | Police | Railroads | Religion | Resorts | Sports | The Watertower | Complete Article List
Extra: Historic Pages | Desktop Wallpaper | Geneology & History | Photo Gallery
Friday, March 5, 2004
photo: clubs
Brainerd's First YMCA Was Constructed in 1882
♦  "The Young Men's Christian Association we regard as being, in its essential genius, a world-wide fellowship united by a common loyalty to Jesus Christ for the purpose of developing Christian personality and building a Christian society."

Bequest Funded Historical Society
♦  A bequest in the will of City Attorney Leon Lum in 1927 was the nucleus in forming the Crow Wing County Historical Society.

photo: clubs
Jaycees Founded In 1936
♦  A chapter of a state, national and international organization the Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) was established in Brainerd in 1936. Les Hage served as president from its founding through 1938.

photo: clubs
Legion Post Has 52-Year History
♦  The Carl Sidney Hanson American Legion Post No. 255 of Brainerd has a 52-year history ranging from 1919 to 1971. Auxiliary records date back to 1922.

photo: clubs
VFW Named After Two Killed in World War 1
♦  The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1647 was instituted March 23, 1929, with 18 charter members. It was named Mahium-Hanson Post in tribute to the first two Brainerd men killed in World War I, John Mahlum and Nick Hanson.

photo: clubs
Elks Lodge Started in Brainerd with 65 Men
♦  With a membership of 65 men, Brainerd Lodge 615, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was organized here on Aug. 23, 1900. First meeting was held in Gardner's Hall.

Kiwanis Club Is Chartered Oct. 18, 1954
♦  The Kiwanis club of Brainerd marked its origin here with a Charter Night program on Oct. 18, 1954, at the Brainerd Country club.

The Exchange Club Has 23-Year History
♦  The Exchange Club of Brainerd was organized Aug. 31, 1948, and has been a very active civic organization ever since.

Lions Club Is Marking 50th Year
♦  The Brainerd Lions club received its charter in November of 1921. The International Association of Lions clubs had been formed at Dallas, Tex., in 1917, with 25 clubs belonging.

Rotary Club Began As Group of 16 Members
♦  A group of 16 men with Harry Michael as chairman held an organizational meeting for a Brainerd Rotary club on May 9, 1921. They were assisted in their planning by some Minneapolis Rotarians, sponsors of the new group here.

Zonta Club Is an Organization for Civic Service by Women
♦  The Brainerd chapter of Zonta, International, was organized at a dinner meeting in the Ransford hotel, Nov. 16, 1954, with 19 charter members enrolled. Zonta is a service organization for executive and professional women.

K of C Chapter Founded Here in 1910
♦  The Knights of Columbus is an organization of Catholic men founded on the national level in New Haven, Conn., in 1882 by Father Michael McGivney. A Minnesota State Council was formed in 1901, and the Brainerd Council was officially chartered in 1910.

photo: clubs
Masons Started Year After City Founded
♦  Aurora Lodge No. 100, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, was the first fraternal organization established in the City of Brainerd. The Masonic Lodge was established here less than a year after the founding of Brainerd on Sept. 25, 1871.

First Odd Fellows Lodge Opened in 1882
♦  Two Odd Fellows lodges operated in Brainerd at one time-- Wildey Lodge 37, instituted Dec. 5,1872 (chartered Oct. 5, 1874, and Evergreen Lodge 90. chartered Nov. 13, 1882.

Eagles Chartered On Nov. 27, 1902
♦  The Fraternal Order of Eagles Lodge Number 287 was chartered in Brainerd on Nov 27, 1902.

photo: clubs
Brainerd Moose Lodge Marking 58th Year
♦  On Jan. 12 of this Centennial year in Brainerd, the Loyal Order of Moose, Brainerd Lodge 1246. marked its 58th anniversary. The Women of the Moose came into existence in 1926.

Disabled American Veterans Had 33 Charter Members
♦  The local chapter of the Disabled American Veterans (Crow Wing County No. 22) began organizing in 1947 and received its charter from the national organization in August of 1948 with 33 charter members enrolled. The Auxiliary began in 1951.

photo: clubs
Mons Malilum First Headed Sons of Norway
♦  The Sons of Norway Lodge, Sagatun No. 18, was organized March 10, 1903, with Mons Mahlum as president. The Lodge is a fraternal organization with insurance and social activities for its membership of Norwegian descent.

photo: clubs
AAUW Organized Here
♦  The Brainerd Branch of the American Association of University Women was organized eight years ago, receiving its charter on April 1, 1963. There were 15 charter members.

Chamber Exists Many Years by Various Names
♦  The Brainerd Area Chamber of Commerce originated in 1882 as a Board of Trade with H. J. Spencer as president.

Flower Society "Early Bloomer"
♦  By MRS. C. TRUEBLOOD It was the "Crow Wing County Garden Flower Society" when a group of interested people formed the organization in June of 1924 in the basement of the H. F. Michael store (now S & L store) on South Seventh Street. It wasn't until 1950 that the name, "Brainerd Flower Society," was adopted.

photo: clubs
South East Club Began In 1911
♦  Twenty-six teenagers met in a shack in the Falconer back yard 60 years ago and organized the South East Brainerd club. The date was Oct. 5, 1911. Later, the headquarters was moved to 1812 Oak Street.

photo: clubs
County 4-H Clubs Trace History Back to 1919
♦  Better farming and homemaking standards and citizenship development have been encouraged by the Crow Wing County 4-H program since it started in 1919.

Comments on our website? Let us know with this form or e-mail the webmasters.

Morris Communications, Inc.

This web site and all it's contents © Copyright The Brainerd Daily Dispatch
506 James Street, P.O. Box 974, Brainerd, Minnesota, U.S.A. 56401
FAX: 218-829-7735 | PHONE: 218-829-4705 | E-MAIL: newstips@brainerddispatch.com
Privacy Statement