Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).|
Reproduced exactly as published in 1971 - no updates, no corrections.
Lum Park Scenes of Yore
FIFTY YEARS AGO--These pictures of Lum Park were taken about 50 years ago. The park featured waterfront recreation equipment.
In February of 1885, people on the North Side requested the council to cut paths through the forest in Gregory Square.
In 1887, the people petitioned for a fence around the square, and White and White were given the contract to build one with swinging gates at the corners. In the middle of the park, C. F. Kindred erected a bandstand.
The people also asked for a drinking fountain.
On June 2, 1898, there was a cyclone and down went everything in that square. During the next two years, the council purchased and planted new trees. (Brainerd Daily Dispatch, Aig. 12, 1949)
Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).